Fruit Picking Jobs in Australia with Visa Sponsorship (Apply online with complete guidelines): According to the New South Wales government’s official web portal, Australia’s horticulture industry comprising fruit, vegetables, and nuts, is one of the nation’s largest agricultural industries. Statista quotes another example: In the financial year 2022, the production value of table grapes in Australia amounted to just over 722 million Australian dollars. Horticulture is the third biggest industry in Australia, comprising fruits, dried fruits, nuts, flowers, turfs, and nursery products. National Farmers Federation Vice President David Jochinke told Sky News Australia that ” There’s a “huge labor shortage” in the Australian agriculture industry which ranges from skilled to short-term workers.” “Which equates to roughly 172,000 people that we require just to get the work done,” he added.
To remove these permanent and temporary shortages, the Australian government is using the method as usual for nations i.e. inviting foreign workers on visa sponsorship. The Australian government has two visa routes open for Fruit Picking Jobs in Australia with Visa Sponsorship. Let’s uncover these routes along with all the details you should know.
What are the Visa Options for Fruit Picking Jobs in Australia with Visa Sponsorship?
To pick fruit in Australia you’ll need to meet the eligibility requirements for an Australian Working Holiday Visa Subclass 417 or Work and Holiday Subclass 462, depending on the country issuing your passport.
What are the requirements for Fruit Picking Jobs in Australia with Visa Sponsorship?
- AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
- For some occupations, a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances, no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- You should be between 18-30 years of age
- Applicants cannot travel with family. They must travel alone.
- The minimum English language skills are overall band 4 or equivalent on the International English Language Testing (IELTS).
- Being sponsored by Temporary Activities Sponsor (TAS) who is an employer approved by DFAT to participate in the program.
- Proof that you have enough money to support yourself. It’s usually required for you to show that you have about AUD 5,000.
- All general visa documents like passport, value statement, police clearance, etc.
How much do Working Holiday Visa 417 and 462 Cost?
You must pay AUD485 for both.
What is the average minimum salary of a Fruit Picker in Australia?
$26.73 per hour.
What is the national minimum salary of a fruit picker in Australia under Visa Subclass 417 and 462?
Under the award, the minimum wage is set at $23.23 per hour or $882.80 per week.
How Long can you stay under Visa class 417 and 462?
The Working Holiday (subclass 417 and 462) visa is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to 12 months.
What fruits are cultivated/ picked in Australia?
What Fruit Picking Jobs should I choose in Australia among the above-mentioned fruit categories?
It first depends upon the Australian state you want to immigrate you as a fruit picker. The whole Australian land is a perfect example of fertility. However, each state has its land/ soil perfect for one fruit, while the other specializes in the production of another. Let’s dig deeper into this.
. Fruit Picking Jobs in Victoria (VIC)
- Fruit Harvested: Citrus, grapes, raspberries, cherries, strawberries
- Farms: Silvan, Cherry Hill Orchards, Coldstream
2. Fruit Picking Jobs in New South Wales (NSW)
- Fruit Harvested: Persimmons, apples, blueberries, cherries, oranges
- Farms: Darkes – Glenbernie Orchard, Darkes Forest, Benning Blueberries, Woolgoolga
3. Fruit Picking Jobs in Queensland (QLD)
- Fruit Harvested: Strawberries, bananas, pears, melons
- Farms: SSS Strawberries, Oakwood, Pinata Farms, Stanthorpe
4. Fruit Picking Jobs in Western Australia (WA)
- Fruit Harvested: Grapes, apples, pears, rockmelons
- Farms: Berry Sweet, Bullsbrook, Bothkamp Australia Farm, Kununurra
5. Fruit Picking Jobs in South Australia
- Fruit Harvested: Grapes, strawberries, citrus
- Farms: Beerenberg Farm, Hahndorf
6. Fruit Picking Jobs in Tasmania
7. Fruit Picking Jobs in Northern Territory
- Fruit Harvested: Mangoes, bananas, melons
- Farms: Pinata Farms, Darwin
What are the Job Duties of a Fruit Picker?
- Picking fruits from the fields and orchards.
- Separate the rotten and damaged pieces from the clean ones.
- Pack the fruit in the respective cartons.
- Label the packages.
- Weighing fruit cartons before loading each carton into the truck.
- Manually cultivating and pruning apple trees.
- Taking care of orchards like regularly performing weeding, rock picking, hoeing weeds, racking old leaves, loosening the soil around the plants, leveling the earth, etc.
- Manually/ By hand thinning apples from the trees.
- Placing bins in the orchard before harvest.
- Cleaning orchard.
- Repairing / Disposing of old or broken baskets.
- Sorting out over-ripened or rotten apples.
- Handling ladders up to 60 lbs.
- Load picked fruit and vegetables into containers while taking care/ avoiding any possible damage.
- Some pickers are also required to drive tractors or other vehicles to deliver fruit and vegetables to the packing shed.
How to Apply for Fruit Picking Jobs in Australia with Visa Sponsorship?
- Job title: Citrus Packer
- No.of hirings: 25 F/M
- Knowledge required: Not specified
- Minimum Experience: Not needed
- Free visa: Yes
- Free ticket: Yes
- Free medical insurance: Yes
- Free food: No
- Free Accommodation: Depends upon the employer
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Maximum age: Not specified
- Expected salary: AUD$21.6 per hour plus overtime
- Job Country: Australia.
- Employer’s location: Sidmouth, Tasmania, Australia.
- Sponsoring agency: Agri Labour Australia.
- Industry: Agriculture
- Job Title: Fruit Picker, Farm Worker.
- Job type: Full-time (six days per week for 8-10 hours a day).
- Experience Required: No
- Knowledge Required: Not High
- Age Limit: No
- Visa Sponsorship: Varies from one employer to another.
- Valid visa types: 2nd and 3rd year working holiday visa, Work visa, Seasonal worker visa, Student visa, and PR holders.
- Accommodation: Varies from one employer to another.
- Expected Salary: minimum $42.50 per bin for strip picking and $50 for select picking.
- Expected Season: February-Mid May.